Happy New Year from the Steel Bridge!    I trust you all had a fun and/or a peaceful New Years Eve.  I know we did.  The neighborhood was alive last night with great food, great beverages and great friends. Nothing puts Happy and New Year together like baked cheese chips, kahlua pork and a surprisingly ample selection of airline mini-bottles of hooch.  And I know what you're all thinking - what better way to signify the transition to 2012 than to paint a bridge that was actually built in 1912. Yes this hundred year old (truss double lift) bridge crosses the Willamette River linking Portland's Oldtown, Chinatown with the Rose Quarter. I put "truss double lift" in for you left brained engineer smarties.  Prior to my research I thought these words were only used to describe new bra technology.  Still I continue - Portland's Steel bridge is the only double-deck bridge with independent lifts in the world.  I painted this from the perspective of the stairs overlooking the waterfront esplanade.  I hope you like it and I hope you like 2012. Here's wishing all of us have a great New Year!  

Comments

  1. Wait, there was kalua pork? I must have arrived too late...

    Love the perspective on this bridge. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Steel Bridge is one of few places in the world where an airplane can fly over a car, train, bicycle, pedestrian and boat... simultaneously.

    Nice work, Stodd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I climbed that bridge in my highschool days

    Brick

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts